Content Marketing can be an effective way to attract and engage your target audience. However, delivering the wrong content in the wrong manner can alienate your brand. If your brand is active in creating or sharing content, it’s important to avoid the following mistakes:
- Talking About Yourself: Follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of your content should be about your audience and only 20% should be about your brand.
- Delivering the Wrong Message: Solve your audience’s problems or give them a position to rally around. Your content needs to align with your audience’s passions and beliefs and should be in your own authentic voice.
- Not Using Your Resources: Use social collaboration to inform your strategy. This PR Newswire article contains great information on how to use your social channels to mine for content.
- Quantity Over Quality: Create highly targeted content that matters. If your content is not authentic or valuable, don’t post it. Even if it limits your frequency. Once you start producing valueless content you will start losing viewers and ultimately, customers.
- Not Optimizing: To get a reach beyond your followers it’s important to think about SEO. Use specific keywords in the content title, body and tags.
- Don’t Plagiarize: The whole point of content marketing is to direct eyeballs. If you’re re posting someone else’s content, make sure you give credit to the creator.
Keeping these guidelines in mind will help keep your content strategy on track and produce results for your business. If all else fails, just post pictures of cute kittens. You will win.